Sources: Brutal Man United eight-player clearout begins
Man United are starting an eight-player clearout by letting Axel Tuanzebe go permanently, sources have told Football Insider.
The 25-year-old defender, currently on loan at Stoke City, is starting to look for a new club as United prepare to clear the decks this summer and free up funds for new arrivals.
Erik ten Hag has told Tuanzebe he is free to find a new club with his United contract ending in June.
The club have the option to extend it by 12 months but are not expected to do so.
Football Insider revealed last month (18 March) that the defender’s contract has a clause that would mean his pay rises to £62,000-a-week if his deal is extended.
Tuanzebe could be one of eight United senior stars to leave in the summer window.
United are putting Anthony Martial, Donny Van de Beek, Scott McTominay, Dean Henderson, Brandon Williams and Harry Maguire up for sale, while longstanding number one David de Gea has yet to agree an extension to his expiring contract.
The Red Devils also let Cristiano Ronaldo depart for free last winter (2022) and will raise transfer funds to sign a new number nine this summer.
Football Insider revealed on Tuesday (28 March) that a marquee striker remains a priority – with Tottenham’s Harry Kane, Napoli ace Victor Osimhen and Benfica star Goncalo Ramos all believed to be on the shortlis
Loan star Wout Weghorst is not expected to sign a permanent deal at Old Trafford after scoring two goals in 18 appearances.Man United sit third in the Premier League but can still secure glory in the Europa League and FA Cup.
Ten Hag’s side have already won the League Cup after beating Newcastle at Wembley in February.